What KM training strategy does an organisation need?
What KM training will your organisation need as you go through the KM journey?
|KM training in China|
- Awareness training, for senior managers and decision makers, so they fully understand knowledge Management and its implications (the Bird Island exercise is very powerful here), and
- Strategic training for the Knowledge Management team, so they develop an understanding of the structure and stages of Knowledge Management implementation and the associated change management.
Once the organisation enters the stage of piloting and proofs-of-concept, there is an additional training need.
- Skills training for the KM team and the early KM champions, to develop specific tactical skills, such as process facilitation, community launch, knowledge capture etc.
- In addition you need to set up knowledge exchange processes and structures such as a KM community of practice, so your champions can learn from each other.
Once the piloting stage is over and the roll-out of the Knowledge Management Framework begins, then a whole suite of training will be needed, including
- Specific training for the Community of Practice leaders and facilitators
- Facilitation training and skills training for others with specific Knowledge Management roles (local knowledge managers,
- Awareness training for managers, so they understand their role in influencing knowledge management behaviours
- Specific training for Knowledge workers, introducing them to the new expectations, new processes and new technologies. This will also include the development of online KM reference material and e-Learning.